Sunday 26 June 2011

Scratchy

Wow what a scorcher!  It has been a beautiful day, gorgeously hot and sunny.
   I was slightly struggling by 5 I must admit.  Only 12 locks, but they are toughies and did I say how hot it was!
Stroke of luck it was my night off though, so after a de sweated in a cold shower I pootled down to the canal side pub and had myself a pint and a read of my book in the evening sun, bliss!

Interestingly (to me!) this part of the Grand Union, has sections to the left of the lock, which used to be single locks on the canal, they are now blocked off but the water runs threw them and at some point they made wider locks which are the ones used solely now.  Very interesting.  Even more so, is that the bridges are very small indeed, we ahve to take down our chimneys and lie flat if on roof!  This is apparently because the locks used to be single locks only, the bridges were made for that purpose too, but never changed!

We also went up a staircase locks today, of only two locks, but still pretty cool.  I won't bore you with the in's and out's of staircases, cos I'm nice like that!  I understand they are cool to few special folk!

We are in Long Itchington tonight!  odd I know!  What a name! We are at the bottom of Stockton Locks, ready for tomorrow, decided against doing them today, as it got hot and late.  Off through to Braunston tomorrow, ready for the tunnel of Tuesday morning.

I am sitting on the roof in a vest top loving the warmth!

Oh have to mention my poor boss, who threw himself into the canal today.  Well not threw exactly, but fell and not canal exactly but lock!  I am trying to be the mum and look after his wounds, it is quite a hole in his leg!  Well at least it was him first, jolly decent of the boss to be the first fally in victim!

Happy not being cold in the nuddy night
Rxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment