Wednesday 22 June 2011

Log Flume

Had a fabulous day today.
We travelled from Stoke Bruene through the Blisworth tunnel, which is 3000m long and took us 45 minutes to get through.  It was incredible.  It was almost completely dark, our lights didn’t light it up much, but behind us were two narrow boats and could see from their lights more of the incredible work involved in creating it.  It was made by hand which is amazing, and as we travelled through I thought long about the brave and amazing leggers who carried out back breaking work to get the old working boats through the tunnel.   We are spoilt and had an engine and everyfink!  I did start to get a little claustrophobic about half way though, well I was fine but could feel it coming, my lungs were closing a bit and I could really feel the lack of air.  I just kept thinking how this was only after 45 minutes and people worked tirelessy in there for days, weeks, months.   
 Looking at the water behind us with boats travelling along reminded me of the log flume at alton towers!! 

Kat and I were giggle fest today.  One of those days where everything seems hilarious and the slightest thing makes us split in two in hysteria.  Think we are very well loosing the plot.
After a very early start, there was a long pound until  the flight at Buckby, which was a toughie! Deep locks and very heavy gates.  Was kerknackered by the end of it, with an early start, motoring at 7.30am.  We didn’t moor until 6pm, so a longun!  But the giggling got me through and a yummy dinner thanks to Kat.  Spinach and Ricotta roulade, yum scrum!
We are moored just shy of the Braunston tunnel, yes I know another tunnel, does the excitement never stop!  Just 6 months of tunnels and aqueducts would keep Kat and I happy!
We are booked to go through at 8am again and then we have the fun of travelling through Braunston on the day before the big working boat fair thingy, apparently already moored 4 a breast !  I don’t think we are going to be very popular trying to get our big ass through!  Will be fun though.

I am decked and off for sleepies.
Nighty night
Rxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment