Tuesday 12 April 2011

Day 2 of life on the waterways

Well...... I am finally back in contact with the world after being completely in the Boonies since leaving Newbury on Sunday.  Gutted not to have been able to share the delights of my first day yesterday. It was mental!
I started the day not having the foggiest about locks, in fact if someone just planted me in front of one on my own, I would have sat down, cried, turned round and sat in the pub, in fact lived there as I never would have been able to escape Newbury Wharf!
Luckily I have the wonderful Kat who has been super patient as my lock teacher.  So after 12 hours on the job, at least 10 miles of walking and 20 locks I now feel that I wouldn't have to live in a pub, hmmm perhaps not such a great skill to have learnt afterall! ;)
A great first day on the move and learned so much.  We overnighted in Great Bedwyn last night, serious Booniesville.  A stunning view to wake up to, can't beat seeing clear blue skies and fields from your bed in the morning, ooh and the train station, well some might find that just as beautiful, we don't speak to 'those' people!

Day two was less manic and we continued down the Kennet and Avon, passing through Wooten Rivers and  I am now tucked up in bed in Pewsey, well just outside and not in the middle of Pewsey as it would be cold and would probably be accosted by those less fortunate if I have a bed in the middle of a town and would wake up with 10 extra people in bed with me along with their dog and bottle of 20/20.
Another gorgeous day, if not slightly chillier, A fun trip through the Bruce Tunnel, ooooh tunnel, and some very sneaky stiff locks to challenge my achey shoulders!
I noticed today how lovely people are on the canals, everyone is so friendly and chat to everyone, even me!

We are heading Devizes way tomorrow, fingers crossed for more sun!
Sleepy
Nighty Night x

No comments:

Post a Comment