Wednesday 27 April 2011

Caen Hill Thrills

Caen Hill Flight, done!!

What a day, our first trip up the Caen hill flight.  We were supposed to be doing it last week, but it was unfortunately closed, but I walked down to see it and was so excited to do it for real.  For those not familiar, it is a succession of 29 locks!  16 of them one after the other, the rest are slightly further spread.  We did the first 6 last night, so were right at the top of the flight for first thing this morning, we saw someone remove the padlocks at about ten to eight this morning and off we went.  2 hours later we were at the bottom of the flight! What a team!!  Thanks to the lovely passenger from last week, who came to help.  It was incredible, so much fun and seeing back up to where we had been was fabulous.  Took lots of great photos, but have got the wrong cable to upload, doh!!

I haven't had any signal since Newbury at the weekend, so very much missing Rosie's Dream!  Will have to amalgamate my hi lights since last post!

Wildlife highlight:  I saw a kingfisher!!!  Nothing more to be said, incredible.  (oh hold on there is more to say, I was so excited about the kingfisher sighting, that I ran at full pelt to tell everyone and cracked my head on the door hatch, jesus lordy above it hurt!  it took away the excitement, luckily it was on the top of my head so no concussion!! But I did feel odd, yes yes, more than usual!!)

2nd Wildlife highlight:  Rescuing a baby blue tit from the canal.  The poor blighter fell in from the tree above, I fished him out, I popped him down in a sunny spot, I really hope he survived, but there was little I could do, still thinking of you bub.

Today was definitely my highlight of the week, it was incredible!

Our guests this week are lovely and they just joined my in the public housen for a drinkie, which was lovely.
Much to my delight, after 26 locks we moored very close to a pub!  So here I am, drinking Wadworth ale with Wifi!!  In my element.  Having a great evening off, but feel for poor Kat, serving dinner, gonna bring her here for a pint later!

Sure I have missed some good stuff, but 4 days seems ages!  I am constantly having wow moments, admittedly I am easily pleased, but still!

Off back to the ranch in the hope of there being leftover Cauliflower cheese!

R xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment