Wednesday 3 August 2011

Rosie Overboard!

Well the day came, it had to happen really didn't it!  Yup, thats it, Rosie fell in!
So here is what happen:

Once upon a time, there was..........only joking!
So we were moored up in Mapledurham (Reading) for a quick lunch break.  I was on crew yesterday so I was casting off, untied the rope, pulled out the pin and ready to hop on board.  TR had started to drift a bit, so I was pulling her in, went to leap onto her, rope and pin in hand........the next I know I am in the river, I landed on my feet, was just pushing my self back up when I realised where I was.  I went to turn around to James to make a joke about my falling in, twately, saw his face and thought, oh dear he looks worried.  I felt totally fine, apart from twatty.  He helped pull me out, back onto the bank and as soon as I was out, I thought, bloody hell that hurts.  I had obviously bashed my knees as they were killing and took me a few minutes to straighten and walk back to the boat.

So I got back on the boat and just sat on the roof, dripping wet, squelching in my shoes.  Sat there, whilst Kat  cast off, properly! I felt a bit of a fraud watching K&J trying to get the boat away from the bank and though I am fine.  Got to the lock just a few hundred yards away and was like nah I can do this no problem.  My arm was starting to hurt and my knees weren't to bad, so just though, bah, bit of pain aint gonna stop me!  So I grabbed my rope, slid down to the gunnels, slid slid and slid and somewhere who knows how caught myself, I was half way to falling in again!  I was a bit discombobulated by this!  I got off, held the rope and realised that I couldn't feel my feet, legs or hands!  I called Kat, in what I thought was a pathetic weedy voice, but apparently sounding quite normal! I sat down and realised, I am not at all fine!!  I started shaking and felt most peculiar 

After a cuppa and a sit on the lock landing, I went to find my rescue remedy and get a cold towel for my arm as it was starting to swell and go purple!  I was in  he kitchen and suddenly couldn't breath normally, I felt dizzy sick and breathing was all over the shop.  I think I slightly freaked out poor Kat and she got James, who was a star and could see it was shock and got me lying down with my feet up.  Lying on the kitchen floor s wuite odd I must say!  Especially with lots of people starring at me!  This went on for a while.  James called NHS direct, who I spoke to when I was breathing a bit better, she basically said all the symptoms sounded like shock and just checked I was concussed or drowning inside!  I really felt the most odd.  My hands were numb and tingly, my legs were so achy I couldn't bend them, I felt so spacey, and like I was made of jelly.

James took me to one of the double rooms, which was empty (no jokes, this is a serious matter!!), so I could lay down without and audience, why do people think starring at someone having a panick attack is helpful! One of our lovely passengers got me some rescue remedy  which really helped as did Kat threatening to cut me to relocate the pain and reading the label off the back of the toilet roll!  I really felt like I had been hit by a steam roller, trampled by a herd of wildebeast and then hung upside down from the moon.

I had a wee sleepy, then felt able to get up a few hours later and had a cuppa and some fresh air.  A shower was definitely on my mind too, Thames scum on my and damp pants was not helping me feel any better!  I felt fine to don dinner service, but was quite wibbly still and glad I wasn't cooking, I was spacey enough to not be safe with hot things!  I had Kat's yummy lasagne and garlic bread and straight to bed with me.  I couldn't sadly as all positions meant leaning on a sore bit and I was super hot!  I woke up this morning like I was made of railway sleepers, so stiff, achey and sore.  My knees are buggered, but nothing at all to show for it! Pah! Pah again!  The most piddly crappy bruises and a teeny scrap on my arm!  I did managed to bang, scrap whatever the two most problematic areas I have atm the moment though, wrists and knees, good job!

I shall be dandy in a day or two, just feel a big idiot cos it really wasn't a bad fall and what a fuss!  We must have been at that lock landing for hours with me in a puddle on the kitchen floor, in the way of everyone and delaying our day!

Everyone was lovely and my fab crew mates were stars, thanks for looking after me lovely ones!

Sadly no pictures but I am sure you can all make one in your own minds of a flailing crazy slipping off a boat into the Thames!

Rxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment