Wednesday 28 November 2012

Teriaki

Sitting on a sofa in a little veggie cafe in Corromandel.  My home for the last week.
It's lovely up here, you really feel a million miles from anywhere, quiet, chilled and beautiful.
I am working in the Driving Creek Cafe, out of town, placed next to a railway built on elevated tracks in the forest.
Its fairly remote and getting anywhere other than town without wheels is a bit of a no go.  So operation make friends with the locals all go!  Although over here and especially up these neck of the woods, hitch hiking is an excepted form of transport and safe.  So I gave it a whirl, another first for me, was great, everyone is so nice here, strange to get used to, but people are just genuinely nice.  Very refreshing.

I have been to the top of the penninsula, at Port Jackson, pretty wild and kind of got the I'm at the top of the world feeling, even more than at Cape Reinga, probably because its not a tourist trail and just is what it is.
I also visited whangapoua, up a very wiggly hill, right up high, a beautiful white sand beach, but then I took the walk over the stoney forested waters edge to New Chums beach, a proper movie moment, when I came out from the sheltered track to be greeted with a pristine white sand beach and turqouise waters, all but deserted.
Yesterday I went on a walk, called the success track boy did it feel like it at the top!  Its was a toughie, steep and rough terrain, streams, branches and some cool caves, they were actually mining shafts, but I liked them as caves! We were helping set traps, not normally one for killing creatures (earwigs being my Exception) it is geuninely to assist the growth of the kiwi population, which I'm all for.

Working is good, being around food too ( in the producing sense although much eating of too!). My payment is a wee hut in the garden and access to the fridge. Pretty cool and working with some lovely people. 

Have visited some of my issues here, not a happy jaunt, but trying to accept great things can also be difficult. 

First day of rain since being here, so all cosied up inside under a blankie with a tummy full of scrambled egg on toast.

R xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment