Tuesday 25 December 2012

Nzmas

I have popped my Southern Hemisphere Xmas cherry.
It was a most pleasant pop!

Have to admit to slightly dreading xmas, as its a wobbly time for me, but decided I can just treat it like any other day, just enjoy a day off work.  That I did, the sun was shining bright, the sea a glistening, so a day at the beach was had.  It is a mere hop across the road, so when it got too hot, could pop back for a snooze!  I had a good swim in the ocean, which wasn't at all too cold.  There is little platform that you climb onto to have wee rest, which was a nice little meeting spot, everyone happy to be playing in the sun between face stuffing sessions.  I viewed a 'sport' I have to say was a new one on me.........a jet ski, a man attached to a long hose, powerful jets of water and man is pushed up into the air.  Most odd, slightly reminded me of Inspector Gadget, but with added face planting. 

In the evening we had a bbq, which was lovely.  I purchased some most tasty Chorizo sausages from the butchers and we all made a dish.  I then fancied a walk on the beach to clear my head and ended up on the wharf with a group of peeps playing guitar and singing with lightening glowing in the mountains surrounding us, a lovely way to see out the day. 

Akaroa is a beautiful spot,  a nice wee town and stunning views from work.  It is taking me a wee while to settle again, I haven't really met any locals mostly travellers, its quite touristy and I miss Corromandel!  I know it just takes me a while, once I have somewhere to live and made a few friends I will be all good and feel less out on a limb!  I have been here nearly a week now, I am sitting watching the dramatic weather come in over the mountain behind the hostel.  Yesterday was 27+ degrees today its rainy and tomorrow a max of 14 degrees!  Crazy country. 

Its good to be working, less than a week of not working was sending me funny, seems my brain needs to be occupied or it goes into melt down mode trying to entertain itself!  Its a nice cafe I work at, right on the water, I can hear the waves crashing in under the cafe when in its quiet and surrounded by stunning mountainous views.  Its a bust spot, on the go from start to finish, but busy is good and being chucked in the deep end has its benifits once bunny has removed itself from headlights!
I thought I may be just washing up wench, but have actually done mostly front of house, learnt new stuff already.  I served drinks for the first time and can work the till (mostly), there have been some crazed beeping moments when the till has a liitle moment, user error I'm totally sure.  But I'm workung on the principle if you smile sweetly, most people will overlook the incompetence!  Actually been quite pleased with myself.

Xmas wildlife spot - a huge eel type thing swimming in the stream flowing under the hostel. Gi huge he was.
Hilarious work moment - walking into kitchen, to be told to turn around, a colleague with a tissue, to be told I had bird crap all down my back!  He kindly cleaned me up!  I wonder how long it would haventaken for a customer to tell me! 

The question still remains, is this good luck?

Rxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment